Bethanga, VIC - St Francis Catholic (Former)
Year Built: 1886
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Last Updated: 01/03/2023
History and Architecture:
The first church was built in 1886.
In 1917 Revd Dr Flynn decided the location of the church was not appropriate.The aged, the infirm and ill could not access the Church because of the steepness and parishioners who had to walk to Mass found it almost impossible to attend and became wet and muddy.
On the 17th October 1917 the Church purchased Olsson's livery stables. Rev, Dr. Flynn engaged a carpenter Denny Toohey and Ada McFarland and John Sirl (a non-Catholic) to demolish the building and clear the site.
When the site was cleared the men set about cutting the church into sections. It was then loaded aboard Adam McFarlaine and John Sirl's dray and hauled, one section at a time to the new site.
The Churhc is now for sale.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1900 - 1906||Rev James Ryan||Attened from Chiltern||1949|
|1906 - 1908||Rev David Tobin|
|1908 - 1937||Rev Dr Francis Flynn|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. A History of St Francis Bethunga by P.R. Packer LPT 282.9455 P12H