Bexley, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian (10292)
Year Built: 1887
Last Updated: 05/01/2021
History and Architecture:
The land on which this Church is built was first granted to James Chandler on the 19th October 1831 by Governor Brisbane (1300 acres). The Foundation stone was laid on 24 May 1887 by the ten Minster for Education the Hon James Inglis. The Church was opened for worship by Rev Robert Steel in October 1887.
For over 50 years it was known as Bexley Presbyterian Church but on 23 March 1941 it was re named St Andrew's and to maintain historical sequence, is today known as St Andrew's Bexley Presbyterian Church. The Mance was erected in 1927 and in 1931 Lowrie Hall was added to the rear of the church.
The Church is a simple painted brick chapel with gabled roof covered with Marseilles tiles. Rendered brick buttresses with round topped windows. Rose window.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1888 - 1913||Rev Thomas Hill||M.A.|
|1913 - 1925||Rev F. A. Darling|
|1925 - 1929||Rev Sam Watson||M.A.|
|1929 - 1940||Rev Rob Campbell|
|1940 - 1952||Rev W. A. Thompson|
|1953 - 1969||Rev G R Garner|
|1969 - 1974||Rev A. G. Ingram|
|1974 - 1977||Rev H A. Olsen|
|1978 - 1983||Rev C. R Thomas|
|1984 -||Rev Ewen Brown||B.D.S.|
The first Organ served the church for 60 years in the form of a 3 Manual pull stops Reed Organ. A new Hammond Electronic Organ was installed in 1971. The first Organist was Miss Gray and Miss Burnett in 1900.
1. St Andrew's Bexley Presbyterian Church 1887 - 1987 Centenary Souvenir. Q285.294412
2. Office of the NSW Environment and heritage website.