Birdwood, SA - Holy Cross Lutheran

Year Built: 1860

Denomination: Lutheran

Address: 1 Church Street, Birdwood, South Australia, 2446

Architect: Unknown

Traditional Owners: Peramangk People

Last Updated: 03/01/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The town of Birdwood, formerly Blumberg,' was founded in January 1848 after the first settlers of Blumberg arrived from Hamburg, Germany in December of 1847. The first worship services of the congregation were held in the home of one of the elders of the congregation until his death in 1850. A small church was then built about 1.5km north-west of the present church and worship services were conducted there.

About 10 years after the first church was built, the present church was built using locally gathered materials. The first worship service was conducted in December of 1860 when it was completed.

The original Church's materials were moved to the present site, and used to erect the Blumberg' Hall.

The Oak Tree which has been there as long as the church is the centrepiece of the church grounds.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
2011 - Rev Ben Hentschke LCA 1922 2013


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.