Blackburn, VIC - The Avenue Uniting
Year Built: 1960
Address: Corner The Avenue & Blackburn Road, Blackburn, Victoria, 3130
Previous Denomination: Presbyterian
Architect: Keith Reid
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 11/03/2023
History and Architecture:
The first Presbyterian Church was erected in 1926. In the 1950's there was already a small brick Presbyterian Church , but with post war expansion this proved inadequate. The worshipping community worked hard to give expression to an expanded vision for the area and the "new" Presbyterian church.
The foundation stone of the current Church was laid on 19 April 1959 by the Right Reverend N. Faichney B.A. Moderator of the Assembly. The church is made of typical house bricks and the architect was Keith Reid. The total cost of the church including Furniture and fittings was £28,504.
The opening Service was held on 21 February 1961.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1920 - 1934||Rev W. R Cunningham||P|
|1922 - 1925||Rev P L Forster||P|
|1926 - 1932||Rev J McMaster||P|
|1932 - 1935||Rev A. S Houston||P|
|1935 - 1945||Rev T. Fletcher||P|
|1946 - 1963||Rev Fred P Strickland||P|
|1964 - 1969||Rev Douglas G McKenzie||P|
|1969 - 1981||Rev Andrew Hope||P|
|1976 - 1985||Rev G Grimmett||U|
|1982 - 1987||Rev Alex Fergusson||U|
|1986 - 1993||Rev Dr Robin J. Pryor||U|
|1989 - 1997||Rev John Rowland||U|
|1995 - 1997||Rev Beverley Bellchambers||Deacon|
|1998 -||Rev Evan Lewis||Supply Minister|
|1998 -||Rev Anne Amos|
|2020 ? -||Rev Jo McKenzie Crisp||U|
|2020 ? -||Rev Rod Peppiatt||U|
This organ was built by William Stone, of St Kilda, for the Congregational Church, Alma Road, St Kilda. It was restored & installed in present location in 1973 by members of the congregation.
For a complete history click here.
1. Avenue to Unity SLT 287.93099451 AV3B
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.