Boonah, QLD - Uniting (Former)

Denomination: Uniting

Address: 9 Church Street, Boonah, Queensland, 4310

Previous Denomination: Methodist

Architect: Unknown

Traditional Owners: Ugarapuls,Yuggera people

Last Updated: 03/07/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

A Mr Fuller visited the region in 1880. In September. 1881, Fassifern and Dugandan were appointed preaching places and in November Mr. Powell conducted devotions at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. Betts, Boonah, in the afternoon, and afterwards at the home of Mr. and Mrs. E. Horton, Kalbar. Services continued at quarterly Intervals.

At Boonah the first service was held at the home of the late Mr. J. Betts and Mrs. Betts (afterwards Mrs. A, Vogel. sen, who now lives in John Street, Boonah), which was on the spot where the home of her son, Mr.J. Betts, stands. The congregation consisted of 24 persons, and the service was conducted by Rev. Powell. who had ridden from Ipswich for the purpose. Church goers attended the home for a few months for worship uintil services were started in the old State school building. As far as is known Mrs. Vogel's name is the oldest on the Boonah Church members roll. In the year 1888 the first church was built at Dugandan, on land given by the late Mr. Thomas Hardcastle not far from the bridge. This church was built by Messrs. George Beverley and T. Austin, and was opened by Rev. J. Buckle, head of the Methodist Church in Qieenaland at that time. In 1887 flood threatened to wash it away, so it was re-erected in 1889 on the site now occupied by the manse at the southern end of High Street.

The Church is now closed. After church Union it was Uniting Church until a new church was built in 1989. It was sold to the Salvation Army and they used it until they bought the old Church of Christ.

After formation of the Methodist Church in Australia a new and much larger church was built in Church Street in 1907.

The old church was moved to Kalbar in 1908. The Methodist Church is now closed. After church Union it was Uniting Church until a new church was built in 1989…plague attached.

The Methodist Church was sold to the Salvation Army. They used it  until they bought the old Church of Christ.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1883 - 1885 Rev I. Castlehow M
1885 - 1887 Rev W. Little M
1887 - 1889 Rev C. Wesley M
1889 - 1891 Rev Thomas Thatcher M
1891 - 1895 Rev Martin Webster M
1895 - 1899 Rev Newell M
1899 - 1902 Rev I. Weir M
1902 - 1903 Rev John Adamson M
1903 - Rev A. V. Boyd 3 months
1904 - 1907 Rev Thomas Nock M
1907 - 1911 Rev J. H. Heaton M
1912 - 1915 Rev W. H. Greenwood M
1915 - 1916 Rev Donald S. Brumwell M
1916 - 1919 Rev H. A. Denny M
1919 - 1922 Rev J. A. Pratt M
1922 - 1925 Rev W. C. Kiendienat M
1925 - 1928 Rev F. Hof M
1928 - 1931 Rev A. C. Tempest M
1931 - 1932 Rev H. R. Roycroft M
1932 - 1934 Rev W. T. Phillips M
1934 - 1938 Rev J. Stirling M
1938 - 1943 Rev S. Y. Potter M
1943 - 1944 Rev T. Dent M
1944 - 1947 Rev S. G. Monro M
1947 - 1951 Rev H. T. Unwin M
1951 - 1956 Rev F. S.J. Buchholz M
1956 - 1960 Rev A. L. Rose M
1961 - 1963 Rev Basil J. Dale M
1964 - 1967 Rev George E. Andrews M
1968 - 1972 Rev Myron L. Cheney M
1973 - 1980 Rev E. J. Hutton U


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.


John Huth content and photos


Queensland Times 17 November 1941