Boort, VIC - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1927

Denomination: Church of Christ

Address: 5 Victoria Street, Boort, Victoria, 3537

Architect: Edgar Streader

Traditional Owners: Dja Dja Wurrung people

Last Updated: 13/10/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

In 1912 a Mr J.K. Kirk of the Boort Coach Factory sold 50 feet of land adjoining the Factory for a sum of 70 to Mr J. Stanyer as a site for a Church of Christ which it is likely will shortly be erected.

Amongst the earliest meetings of the Church of Christ it is recorded that these were held at Mysia and in the home of Stanyers, of Yando. Later the first building was opened in May 1913, having been removed from Mysia. In July 1927 the first meetings were held in the present building which was was built and designed by Mr. Edgar Streader, a local builder, was erected in 1926.

From Edgars son, "Built the 1st church in 1910 in Evan's property at Fernihurst, it was shifted up to Boort where the present one is standing. A bigger church was needed so they moved the old one over the road to the North side of the Senior Citizens almost on the fence line. That then became the Racabites Hall then it was the Methodist Church at Lake Marmal, then it moved to Tongala for a church over there. Edgar Streader built the present church in 1926 and built the one in Pyramid Hill the year before".

An unusual symmetrical Arts and Crafts Church with flared timber dados, flared gable ended treatment, recessed porch with surmounting lead lit window with the words "Church of Christ" and prominent gable ended vent. The walls above dado height are asbestos cement clad with strapwork.


Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
- Dr G. H. Oldfield approx 1927


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.


1. 2023 Boort Historical Society from the book Smoke from the Hill. Fae Stevens
2. 2023 Edgar Streader's son


1. Loddon Heritage Study.