Bothwell, TAS - St Michael's and All Angels Anglican
Year Built: 1891
Address: 2 Dennistoun Road, Bothwell, Tasmania, 7030
Architect: Alexander North
Last Updated: 12/03/2023
History and Architecture:
The Church was consecrated by Bishop Montgomery in 1891. The French Gothic revival small country Cathedral was designed by Alexander North and built by Lewis and Son and Hallet. The sandstone for this church was quarried locally. The tower was added and dedicated in 1923 however is un finsiehd due to costs.
Before construction of the present church, the Anglican and Presbyterian congregations met in the same building, which survives today as St Luke's Uniting Church.. A stone staircase leads to the belfry and there are stone seats in the porch.
The corner stone was laid in October 1887 and the church opened and was consecrated in 1891. The Architect was Alexander North and the church is of Bothwell stone in modifiled Gothic style.There is a fireplace at the west end of the nave, and one in the sacricty.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1841 - 1844||Rev Thomas Wigmore||1793 / 1794||1870|
|1844 -||Rev Edward John Pogson||1815||1846|
|1850 -||Rev Charles Peter Bardin||1911|
|1854 - 1868||Rev Wickham Mayer Hesketh||1807||1868|
|1868 - 1875||Rev Arthur Wayn||1830||1901|
|1869 -||Rev William Henry Dunning||Curate||1835||1896|
|1879 - 1893||Rev Alfred Richard Beresford||1851||1935|
|1893 - 1896||Rev Joshua George Morling||1855||1906|
|1895 -||Rev John Kidd Wilmer||1849||1928|
|1896 - 1899||Rev William Henry Webster||1850||1931|
|1900 - 1902||Rev Arthur John Greenwood||1868||1957|
|1903 - 1908||Rev Walter Jeremiah Dodson||1869||1940|
|1908 - 1911||Rev Stephen Percy Hatherton Martin||1872||1957|
|1911 -||Rev Edward Sigismund Woolley||1881||1933|
|1914 - 1916||Rev Leslie Underwood Alley||1882||1966|
|1916 - 1918||Rev Launcelot Coulston Ferris||1878||1946|
|1918 - 1922||Rev William Greenwood||1884||1962|
|1923 - 1926||Rev John William Davidson||Curate||1861||1934|
|1926 - 1933||Rev Bertram Stanley Hammond||1885||1962|
|1934 - 1947||Rev Walter Walters||1892||1983|
|1949 - 1952||Rev Howard Castleton Russell||1885||1973|
|2020 ? -||Rev John Langlois|
Built by Samuel Joscelyne in 1862 and installed in 1869 at St Luke's Church, Bothwell. Installed in present location in 1891. Restored in 1967 by K.R. Davis & Son. A renovation was carried out in 2001 by Gibbs & Thomson. It has 1m., 9 sp.st., pedal pulldowns, tr. Man: 8.8 divided.22.214.171.124.2. 16.8.
A full description can be seen here.
1. Church plaque.
2. Cable Clergy Index
3. The Anglican Church in Tasmania, A Diocesan history to mark the Sesquicentenary 1992 by Geoffrey Stephens
4. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.