Box Hill, VIC - Wesley Uniting (20121)
Year Built: 1925
Previous Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist
Last Updated: 16/06/2021
History and Architecture:
The first Wesleyan Methodist service was held in the Box Hill centre in the Barkly Hall, on 13th May 1883.
Tenders were called for what is now known as Oxford Hall (formerly known as the The Methodist Church in Station Street and later The Station Street Church ) on 17th November 1885, and the foundation stone was laid on 11th February 1886. The Methodist Church in Station Street was opened on 6th June 1886. The first church service was held on 13th June 1886. Box Hill became an independent circuit in 1889.
The Foundation stone was laid by Mr George Blood on 15 August 1925.
Box Hill Methodist Church was renamed Wesley Uniting Church Box Hill in 1977 following the formation of the Uniting Church in Australia.
For a complete history click the church website here.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1863 - 1865||Rev Thomas Raston||WM|
|1865 - 1866||Rev J B Smith||WM|
|1866 - 1869||Rev J Harcourt||WM|
|1869 - 1872||Rev Geo Daniel||WM|
|1871 -||Rev R Rodgers||From Collingwood|
|1871 - 1872||Rev J Dare||From Kew United Methodists|
|1872 - 1875||Rev Henry Bath||Wesleyan|
|1872 - 1874||Rev J Griffith||From Kew United Methodists|
|1875 - 1878||Rev John Cope||Wesleyan|
|1874 - 1876||Rev H Clarke||From Kew United Methodists|
|1876 - 1878||Rev Thomas A Bailey||From Kew United Methodists|
|1878 - 1881||Rev Joseph White||Wesleyan|
|1878 - 1880||Rev Henry Wallace||From Kew United Methodists|
|1880 -||Rev S Lenton||From Kew|
|1881 - 1883||Rev W A Quick||Wesleyan|
|1883 - 1884||Rev Nathaniel Bennett||WM|
|1884 - 1885||Rev Dr James Waugh||WM|
|1885 - 1886||Rev Alfred Rigg||WM|
|1886 -||Mr William Burridge||WM|
|1886 - 1888||Rev John Thomas||WM|
|1888 - 1889||Rev R A Taylor||WM|
|1889 - 1890||Rev W E Bromilow||WM|
|1890 - 1893||Rev Jesse Carey||WM|
|1893 - 1894||Rev Martin Dyson||WM|
|1894 - 1897||Rev H J Brownell||WM|
|1900 -||Rev Jas Mathieson||WM|
|1902 - 1905||Rev Henry James Lavers||M|
|1905 - 1908||Rev J J Brown||M|
|1908 - 1910||Rev Joseph Nicholson||M|
|1910 - 1915||Rev R W Thompson||M|
|1915 - 1919||Rev W J Palamountain||M|
|1919 - 1924||Rev J E Warren||M|
|1927 - 1930||Rev T S.B. Woodfall||M|
|1930 - 1934||Rev R E Hooper||M|
|1934 - 1938||Rev A E Davey||M|
|1938 - 1943||Rev Henry Clarke||M|
|1943 - 1948||Rev F E Richards||M|
|1948 - 1953||Rev J J Benjamin||M|
|1953 - 1958||Rev H Chambers||M|
|1958 - 1964||Rev G Douglas Brimacombe||M||1906||1966|
|1964 - 1967||Rev Trevor M Byard||M||1915||2006|
|1967 - 1974||Rev John C Cousins||M|
|1974 - 1981||Rev Peter Musgrove||M|
|1981 -||Rev Dr Peter Moonie||M|
The organ was built in 1887 by the major English organ builder, Henry ‘Father’ Willis, for Findon, Kew, the mansion of the Hon. Henry “Money” Miller, a parliamentarian, and one of Victoria’s wealthiest men. Here it stood at the end of a large ballroom where it was depicted in Victoria and its Metropolis (1888). No expense was spared in the construction of the organ, with superlative materials and lavish finishes being freely employed.
For a full description click on the church website here.
1. Methodist Church of Australasia Ministerial Index.
2. 100 Years On. Wesley Church Box Hill. 1886 - 1986. LH 287.199451. ONE.