Brisbane, QLD - Presbyterian
Year Built: 1858
Architect: Alexander Brown Wilson
Traditional Owners: Turrbal people
Last Updated: 21/04/2023
History and Architecture:
In September 1854, the congregation purchased three allotments in Ann Street. Four years later, a simple stone building in the Gothic style was erected by Joshua Jeays for a cost of £960. It was 36 by 47 feet (11 by 14 m). The church was opened on Sunday 25 July 1858 and became known as the Ann Street Presbyterian Church. On Thursday 21 December 1871, a fire destroyed all but the stone walls of the church, which was not insured.
The Church was built in 1858 by Joshua Jeays, altered and extended in 1897 to a design by Alexander Brown Wilson with further extensions designed by Douglas Francis Woodcraft Roberts in 1936.
The Church is a rendered stone and brick building set well above Ann Street and King George Square with an ornate render and cast iron wall and steps down to Ann Street. The roof, of ribbed galvanised iron, consists of a series of steeply pitched gables. The windows are generally tall lancets, with a few rounded-headed ones.
A full history can be read on Wikipedia here.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1857 -||Rev Charles Ogg||1895|
|2019 -||Rev Linden Fooks|
Built by Charles Richardson of Sydney in 1903. Console moved and pneumatic action reversed 1921 Whitehouse Brothers of Brisbane. Additions made in 1929-30 by Whitehouse Brothers, Brisbane. Restored in 2004 by W.J. Simon Pierce, Brisbane. It has 2 manuals, 17 speaking stops, tubular-pneumatic action.
For a full description and photos click here.
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.