Brisbane, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting
Year Built: 1905
Address: 299 Ann Street, Brisbane, Queensland, 4000
Previous Denomination: Presbyterian
Architect: George David Payne
Traditional Owners: Turrbal people
Last Updated: 21/04/2023
History and Architecture:
The church is a well-composed building, relying more for its character relying on the intrinsic characteristics of natural materials and the bold massing of simple forms than on ornamentation and decoration, which are often characteristic of ecclesiastical architecture. The architect, was much influenced by the late Victorian interest in Romanesque architectural styles, and this influence is most obvious at St Andrews' in the repeated use of the semicircular arched opening, vaulted and domed ceilings, sparse use of Celtic and Norman ornamentation and sophisticated face brickwork
The Church was designed by George David Payne and built in 1905 by Alexander Lind & Son.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|2022 -||Rev Susan Pickering|
The Organ was built by Walter G. Rendall of Sydney in 1905. It had 3 manuals, 30 speaking stops, tubular pneumatic action. Rebuilt with additions in 1908 by B.B. Whitehouse & Co of Brisbane. It had 3 manuals, 31 speaking stops, tubular pneumatic action. Additions 1922, and console moved in 1935 by Whitehouse Brothers, Brisbane. Electrified in 1941 by Whitehouse Brothers, Brisbane. Addition in 1959 by J.W. Walker & Sons, UK 3 manuals, 38 speaking stops, electro-pneumatic action. Rebuilt in 1984 by J.W. Walker & Sons. It has 3 manuals, 40 speaking stops, electro-pneumatic action.
For a full description and photos click here.
1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.