Bundaberg, QLD - Christ Church Anglican
Year Built: 1927
Architect: John Hingeston Buckeridge
Traditional Owners: Taribelang people
Last Updated: 26/06/2023
History and Architecture:
The first Anglican Church in Bundaberg was built in Quay Street in 1876. The building was moved to Woongarra Street, near the present site, in 1899. The foundation stone for the church was laid on August 9, 1920 by Bishop Le Fenu.
The Church was constructed in 1927 featuring a gothic style with characteristics including pointed arches with mouldings in porches, windows and arcades. The design and plans for the church were drawn by the Diocesan Architect Mr J Hingeston Buckeridge of Sydney and showed a simple but spacious and beautiful building which would accommodate up to 600 worshippers.
The cost was estimated at £6,000.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1878 - 1900||Rev Wilfred Morris||1896||1990|
|1900 - 1903||Rev John. William Ashton||1866||1964|
|1903 - 1907||Rev R. S. Hay|
|1907 - 1907||Rev C. S. Hamlyn|
|1907 - 1912||Rev Wynham Selfie Heathcote||1862||1955|
|1912 - 1913||Rev Charles Kingsley Cole||1865||1943|
|1913 - 1916||Rev James Robinson Hall||1890||1950|
|1913 - 1921||Rev Canon Herbert Cramer Beasley||1867||1940|
|1919 - 1920||Rev Thomas Humphrey Clark||Curate||1892||1942|
|1920 - 1921||Rev Charles Denne Gillman||Curate||1887||1963|
|1921 - 1922||Rev Arthur Edwin Henry||1871||1924|
|1921 - 1922||Rev Ivor Llewellyn Skelton||Curate||1890||1970|
|1922 - 1928||Rev Bertie Perigine Walker||1871||1961|
|1926 - 1928||Rev Cyril Leslie Biggins||Curate||1897||1984|
|1928 - 1930||Rev Edward Oerton||Curate||1854||1930|
|1928 - 1943||Rev A. Harold Osborn|
|1930 - 1931||Rev Norman Michael||Curate||1884||1951|
|1930 - 1931||Rev Herbert Boardman Stott||1897||1966|
|1944 - 1946||Rev John William Johnson||1881||1955|
|1946 - 1965||Rev Harold John Richards||1900||1976|
|1965 - 1973||Rev A. L. Gillespie|
|1973 - 1985||Rev Canon Paxton Hall|
|1985 - 1989||Rev J. F. Naumann|
|1989 - 1993||Rev Canon J. A. Hoog|
|1993 - 1999||Rev P. L. Freier|
|1999 - 2001||Rev C. W.A. Moody|
|2003 - 2008||Rev R. B. Tutin|
|2010 - 2013||Rev C. C. Greaves|
|2013 - 2015||Rev P. B.H. Doulin|
|2015 -||Rev K. M. Dean Jones|
The pipe organ, which is housed in an organ chamber built over the north side of the church. Built by M.P. Möller of Hagerstown, Maryland, U.S.A in 1902. It has 2 manuals, 9 speaking stops, mechanical action Installed in new church in 1927 by Whitehouse Brothers of Brisbane. Secondary Swell division added (electric action) in 1963 by Charles Dirksen Organ Co. of Brisbane. Additions and alterations in 1996 by W.J. Simon Pierce, Brisbane.
A full description and photos can be seen here.
1. 2023 John Huth notice board with names
1. Christ Church Souvenir Opening 20th February 1927
2. Bundaberg Now. Click here to read full description.
3. Cable Clerical Index.
4. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.