Bundaberg, QLD - Holy Rosary Catholic
Year Built: 1888
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Architect: Francis Stanley
Traditional Owners: Taribelang people
Last Updated: 03/06/2023
History and Architecture:
The first original timber church still stands in the Bundaberg Catholic Cemetery. The proprietor then was Walter Adams, Bundaberg’s first member to the Queensland Legislative Assembly.
In 1876 the Sisters of Saint Joseph, founded by Saint Mary MacKillop, arrived in Bundaberg ahead of Father Rossolini who moved his residence from Mt Perry to Bundaberg in December of that year.
The original design was done by Francis Stanley, the great nineteenth century architect of colonial Queensland. It is of neo classical style.
On October 10, 1886, the foundation stone of the new church of St Mary of the Holy Rosary was laid by Bishop Dunne of Brisbane. Bishop Dunne, then an archbishop, consecrated the completed first stage of the church on May 13, 1888. The transepts and sanctuary were added in 1925-26.
A full history can be see at the Church website here.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1876 - 1893||Father Constantine Crossolini|
|1882 - 1885||Father P. McCormack|
|1885 - 1891||Father A. Monaghan|
|1891 - 1917||Father John Mimnagh||1951|
|1893 - 1896||Father H. Fitzgerald|
|1896 - 1897||Father R. Walsh|
|1897 - 1901||Father J. Healy|
|1901 - 1901||Father J. Hennessey|
|1904 - 1906||Father William Bryne|
|1906 - 1907||Father Francis Burton||1947|
|1913 - 1918||Father J. D. Kelly|
|1918 - 1929||Father M. Baldwin|
|1920 - 1921||Father J. McCarthy|
|1921 - 1929||Father O. S. Hayes|
|2022 ? -||Father Peter Tonti|
The Organ was built by Whitehouse Brothers of Brisbane in 1933 at a cost of £1300. Removed from the gallery to transept, with additions in 1986 by David Hudd of Brisbane. It has 2 manuals, 4 ranks extended, electro-pneumatic action.
A full description can be seen here.
1. 2023 John Huth name board.
1. Index to Priests A-Z to 1900 - Rev Fr TJ Linane
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.