Burnie, TAS - Baptist (8004)

Denomination: Baptist

Address: 57 Mount Street, Burnie, Tasmania, 7320

Last Updated: 16/12/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The church, capable of accommodating 350 or more people,opened on 12 December 1925. It was built almost entirely by men of the Church. Henry  Dowling as general overseer, Fred  Parsons in charge of the carpentering and Jim Baylis and Ray Haslock in charge of the brick work. It was completed at a cost of £1675 pounds.Seventeen years later the debt incurred was completely wiped out.

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by J.T. Soundy Esq, 1825

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1899 - 1900 Rev Harry Wood
1901 - 1902 Rev Thomas Vigis 1936
1902 - 1904 Rev Samuel Harrison 1936
1904 - 1906 Rev J. T Piercey 1929
1909 - Rev George Craike Asst
1910 - 1911 Rev Oswald R Linden
1911 - 1914 Rev Charles Palmer
1915 - 1918 Rev Robert McCullough 1931
1918 - 1922 Rev F. A. Leeder 1953
1922 - 1932 Rev Edward B Woods
1932 - 1939 Rev Frank Potter 1962
1939 - 1943 Rev Frederick Clifton Aldis
1945 - Rev Thomas Churchward Kelly
1945 - 1953 Rev Ernest Clive Smith
1990 - 1996 Rev Ian Carmichael
1993 - 1997 Rev Chris Aulich
2009 - Rev Timothy Haymen

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, A History of the Burnie Baptist Church 1899 - 1999 Lawrence F Rowston