Burwood, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1887

Denomination: Methodist

Address: 339 Warrigal Road, Burwood, Victoria, 3125

Architect: Unknown

Architectural Style: Gothic

Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people

Last Updated: 11/04/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

A church site was sought in 1878 and an acre (0.4 hectare) of land in Warrigal Road was purchased for £50,320 however the building of a new church did not commence until 1887. The foundation stone was laid on 24 January 1887 by Hon J Balfour, MLC and G Sweet; construction was undertaken by builders, Hainsworth and Kellam, and the church opened on 26 June 1887.

The Methodist church made additional land purchases in Warrigal Road in 1914 and 1924, acquiring land to the north of the church site, and a Sunday School hall was eventually constructed adjacent to the church.

The Methodist Sunday School building in Toorak Road was sold in 1936 and architects A S & R A Eggleston were commissioned to design a new Sunday School building adjacent to the church. Plans included a large hall with kitchen and kindergarten room, and the foundation stone for this building was laid on 19 September 1936. The building, constructed by A C Harrison, was opened on 12 December 1936 and included installation of moving picture equipment. In 1938 a new room was erected to the rear of the church by Mold Brothers and in 1940, five blocks fronting Church Street were sold by the church.

The church underwent renovation and was re-opened on 22 February 1953. Work included the addition of a front porch, installation of accordion doors to the nave, redecoration of the interior including tile dados replacing timber panelling, lengthening and reglazing of windows and the relocation of choir seating. Architect F C Armstrong and builders Mold Brothers, undertook this work.

The church was sold to Drayton and Garson Sleights Funeral Services in 1989 and was remodelled for use as a funerary chapel. It continues as W D Rose Funerals.

A Foundation stone in part reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Hon ??? M.L.C. 19th Sept 1936 - Rev David Clarnette Minister.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1936 - Rev David Clarnette


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.


1. 2024 Simon Saunders with ref to Council Heritage site.


1. City of Whitehorse Heritage Review 2012