Camberwell, VIC - St Christopher's Catholic
Year Built: 1888
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: 595 Riversdale Road, Camberwell, Victoria, 3124
Previous Denomination: Congregational
Architect: Loweish, Moorhouse and Figgis
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 23/11/2022
History and Architecture:
The foundation stone was laid on 7 January 1888 by James Mirams MLA and the building opened on 29 April of the same year. The architects were Loweish, Moorhouse and Figgis. The church was constructed from dark brown Hawthorn bricks in the Gothic style and cost £1,150 to erect.
A memorial stone reads, " This tablet to commemorate the erection of Trancepts was unveiled by Rev Alfred Jones January 20th 1900". A futher plaque reads, " This church was blessed by The Most Rev Thomas Francis Little D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne under the title of Maria Hilf for the german speaking community on 24th July 1983".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1888 - 1913||Rev Alfred Jones||C|
|1914 - 1921||Rev W. L. Slack||C|
|1921 - 1922||Rev A. C. Newberry||C|
|1924 - 1932||Rev W. N. Gunson||C|
|1933 - 1942||Rev C. E. Tapp||C|
|1942 - 1944||Rev F. W. Krohn||C|
|1945 - 1976||Rev L. S. Pearse||C|
Built between 1850-60 in England and installed in its present location in 1896 by William Anderson. A full description can be seen here.
1. A Short History of Camberwell Congregational Church 1888 - 1977. A.G. Gunson LH 285.89451 GUN