Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian
Year Built: 1905
Architect: Campbell & Kernot
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 22/11/2023
History and Architecture:
The first Presbyterian service in Camberwell was held in the old Shire Hall on 6 September 1885.
The site on which the present Church stands was purchased for 375, and almost immediately the first building was erected, at a cost of 566. It was a very plain, weatherboard structure, and seated about 200 persons. This first church was opened on 6 June 1886.
The original church hall, adjacent to the church in Waterloo Street, was built in 1925. In 1965 this hall was demolished and the existing hall built on the same site. The existing manse at 20 Waterloo Street was purchased in 1934.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1885 -||Rev R M Fergus||2 months|
|1886 - 1887||Rev James Climie M.A.||1887|
|1887 -||Rev P J. Murdoch MA|
|1928 - 1951||Rev Dr R Wilson Macaulay||1951|
|1951 - 1981||Rev William Loftus|
|1981 - 1983||Rev Dudley Hallam||1983|
|1985 - 1990||Rev Robert Humpherys|
|-||Rev Graham Nicholls|
|2000 -||Rev Philip Mercer|
The Organ was built in 1885 by George Fincham for Chalmers Presbyterian Church, East Melbourne. Installed in present location in 1906. Rebuilt in 1915 by George Fincham & Son (tubular-pneumatic action and detached console) Electrified in 1954 & new console in 1969 by Hill, Norman & Beard. Tonal alterations c.1975 by John S. Parker Rebuilt 1995-1996 Vernon Cresswell; completed Peter D.G. Jewkes Pty Ltd. 2 manuals, 32 speaking stops, 8 couplers, electro-pneumatic and electro-magnetic actions.
For a full description and photos click here.
Anonymous submission of some clergy details