Campbell Town, TAS - St Luke's Anglican
Year Built: 1835
Address: 70 National Highway, Campbell Town, Tasmania, 7210
Architect: John Lee Archer
Traditional Owners: Tyerrernotepanner people
Last Updated: 22/03/2023
History and Architecture:
From a plaque at the front of the church reads, "John Lee Archer the Civil Engineer under Governor Arthur had the plans drawn up for this church and the foundation stone was laid in 1835. It was then discovered that part of the base had been laid down with no foundations and a new contractor was called to complete the building which was opened in 1839.
This however did not bring an end to the problems.It quickly became apparent it had been so badly constructed that extensive repairs were needed before it could be consecrated".
Constructed of brick, it incorporates a large tower at the west end with prominent octagonal pinnacles and a spacious aisled interior. The stained glass windows include a very rare example of the work of Arial Rosenkranz (1870-1964). The present vicarage was built in 1888, mainly through the generosity of Miss Sarah Leake.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1839 - 1839||Rev Kirkland|
|1854 - 1860||Rev William Brickwood||1817||1901|
|1860 - 1863||Rev Richard Oscar Thorpe||1828||1906|
|1864 - 1869||Rev George Giles||1799||1872|
|1866 -||Rev Henry White Adams||1840||1902|
|1869 - 1875||Rev Basil Tudor Craig||1833||1907|
|1876 - 1888||Rev Charles Vaughan||1847||1918|
|1895 - 1905||Rev Henry Dresser Atkinson|
|1930 - 1934||Rev Walter Jeremiah Dodson||1869||1940|
|1934 - 1937||Rev Albert Thompson||1885||1936|
|1938 - 1951||Rev Arthur Stanley Drewett||1883||1960|
|1951 - 1967||Rev Lawrence Edward Dando||1901||1970|
|1974 - 1981||Rev Malcolm Alan Frank Downie||1913||1998|
|1981 - 1983||Rev Hugh David Butler||1913||2003|
|2020 -||Rev Ian Oates|
The organ was built by J.W. Walker of London in 1862 and purchased by private subscriptions of the members of the congregation of St. Luke's. The scale is unique in Tasmania and rare even in England, extending from FFF to G, five octaves and two semitones.
A full description can be viewed here.
1. Church Plaque
2. The Anglican Church in Tasmania, A Diocesan history to mark the Sesquicentenary 1992 by Geoffrey Stephens
3. The Church website
4. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.