Camperdown, VIC - St Paul's Anglican (20411)
Year Built: 1863
Last Updated: 08/01/2021
History and Architecture:
The building of St Paul's Parish Church commenced in 1863 with substantial contributions from families whose descendants still worship in the parish. With local tradesmen directing the stonework and carpentry, both the church and the vicarage were completed within four months.
The Church was built in three stages with chancel and sanctuary, and transepts and bell tower added later. In 1894 a vestry and Lady Chapel were added. Architecturally it is a mixture of styles, including Norman and Gothic.
Both the church and the vicarage are built in bluestone with Welsh slate roofs. The church features sandstone surrounds for the doors and windows. The pulpit and font are cut from the same sandstone. The original pews and choir stalls are still in use, however, in 1989 the floor was replaced and carpeted, and heating installed.
From 1888, stained glass windows have been a feature. The great west window is in memory of Peter and Thomas John Manifold. A Memorial Garden is established in the grounds.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1868 - 1886||Rev John Hutchinson||1813||1891|
|1894 - 1912||Rev Jon Horton Macfarlaine|
|1902 - 1904||Rev John William Geer||Curate||1877||1941|
|1908 - 1909||Rev John Brodie Armstrong||1858||1937|
|1912 - 1916||Rev Arthur David Davies||1860||1916|
|1916 - 1916||Rev Thomas Alexander Colebrook||1866||1924|
|1925 - 1932||Rev Walter Guthrie Bower||1876||1936|
|1925 - 1926||Rev Herbert Douglas Campbell||Curate||1887||1960|
|1950 - 1957||Rev Leslie Burgess||1900||1979|
|1957 - 1966||Rev George Eric Mutten||1899||1996|
|1959 - 1963||Rev Lewis Samuel Langdon||1903||1975|
|1968 - 1973||Rev Douglas Robert Stewart||RD|
|1982 - 1983||Rev Arthur Mellish Savage||Acting RD|
|2019 -||Rev Mathew Crane|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.