Canterbury, NSW - St Paul's Anglican
Year Built: 1858
Address: Church Street, Canterbury, New South Wales, 2193
Architect: Edmund Blacket
Last Updated: 07/07/2022
History and Architecture:
Built on part of Robert Campbell's Canterbury estate on land donated by his daughter Sophia Ives Campbell. The Church was designed by Edmund Blacket. Built from local sandstone it was completed between 1858 and 1859 and consecrated on 12 April 1860.
Of Gothic Revival Church style with steeply pitched roof which was originally covered with slate, now by cement tiles. It features stained glass windows and lych gate on heavy stone piers. Churchyard contains many pioneer graves.
Cost £1,479 plus architect's commission of £74, all of which was paid by Sophia Campbell.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1870 - 1905||Rev James Theophilus Carter||1828||1909|
|1906 - 1926||Rev Richard Heffernan||1857||1938|
|1926 -||Rev George Alexander Chambers||1877||1963|
|1928 - 1930||Rev David Creighton||1865||1945|
|1930 - 1933||Rev Edward Charles Knox||1867||1940|
|1966 - 1974||Rev Charles Maurice Gilhespy||1913||1974|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Cable Clergy index.