Carlingford, NSW - St Paul's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1847

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: Paul

Address: 263 Marsden Road, Carlingford, New South Wales, 2118

Architect: William Mobbs

Traditional Owners: Burramattagal people

Last Updated: 17/10/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

A heritage-listed former Anglican church it was opened and consecrated by the Rt. Rev. William Broughton on 4 July 1850. Built by William Mobbs in 1847. A small sandstone Victorian Academic Gothic former church with west porch, a nave featuring lancet windows, a bellcote, chancel and later vestry erected at the direction of the Right Reverend W. G. Broughton, first Bishop of Sydney. The land was donated in 1847 by William Mobbs.

The masonry work was carried out by Richard Marshall, who quarried and dressed the stone on his own property near Jenkins Road, Carlingford.

In 1980, the church building was sold and the congregation moved to a new church of the same name in Moseley Street.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
- 1860 Rev Turner
1932 - 1936 Rev Oscar William Charles Cooper Curate 1906 1971
1940 - 1941 Rev Alfred John Dyer 1884 1968
1940 - 1940 Rev Charles William Hammond Curate 1906 1957
1943 - 1948 Rev Roy Hamilton Bootle 1892 1967
1949 - 1952 Rev Charles Kemble Hammond 1910 2005
1941 - 1942 Rev John Roderic Lindsay Johnstone Curate 1914 2003


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.


1. Wikipedia
2. Cable Clerical Index with permission.