Carlton, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1899

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Sacred Heart

Address: Cnr Rathdowne and Pelham Streets , Carlton, Victoria, 3053

Architect: Reed, Smart & Tappin

Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri Woi-wurrung and Bunurong / Boon Wurrung people

Last Updated: 06/12/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger


History and Architecture:

The Church of the Sacred Heart replaced an earlier combined church and school, built in bluestone, known as St George's. The new church was opened and blessed by Archbishop Carr on 19 November 1899.

The Architectual style is Renaissance. The Church consists of nave, side aisles, and side chapels. It is 170ft in length and 62ft across. The width of the entrance façade to Rathdown-street is 96ft. Frescoe painting and colour decoration make a good internal effect, the interior of the building having been designed with that view. The style of architecture is Renaissance, the building is of brick, and the floor is laid with encaustic tiles. The architects were Messrs Reed, Smart, and Tappin.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1958 - 1961 Father Joseph William Kelly Asst 1918 1989

Organ:

The Gallery Organ was built by William Anderson in 1886. It was enlarged c. 1920 (addition of Great Trumpet and bass octave to Swell reeds) by Frederick Taylor? Rebuilt & enlarged in 1958 by George. Fincham & Sons Pty Ltd. It has 3 manuals, 30 speaking stops, 18 couplers, electro-pneumatic action.

The Sanctuary Organ was built by Balbiani, Milano in 1929 – for Brigidine Convent, Randwick, NSW; opened in 1930 Rebuilt in 1965 by S.T. Noad & Son of Sydney (new electro-pneumatic action). Installed in 1986 by Alan Cargill and others at St Francis Xavier's Catholic Church, Bowenfels, NSW. Rebuilt & installed in present location 2011-12 by Wakeley Pipe Organs Pty Ltd. It has 2 manuals, 7 speaking stops, 10 couplers, electro-pneumatic action.
For a full description and photos click here.

Source:

1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.