Castle Hill, NSW - St Columba's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1976

Denomination: Presbyterian

Saint: Columba

Address: 247 Old Northern Road, Castle Hill, New South Wales, 2154

Architect: Unknown

Traditional Owners: Bidjigal people

Last Updated: 11/05/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger


History and Architecture:

The foundation stone for the old Presbyterian Church in Castle Hill was unveiled on 15 July 1939 by Reverend G. M. Scott, Home Missions Superintendent, 1936-1939. The modern St Columba’s Presbyterian Church, Castle Hill was opened on 6 March 1976.

An article in the The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate Wed 9 Aug 1939 reads, "Rev. A. D. Marchant, State Moderator of the Prebyterian Church, will officially open the new Presbyterian Church at Castle Hill on September 2. The opening function is being arranged by the Hawkcsbury District Presbytery. A special dedicatory service will be held. in celebration of the completion of the new church, Rev. Dr. Cumming Thom (lecturer at St. Andrew's College) will speak (it a service the following afternoon, and at night.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
- 1940 Mr J. R. Thorburn

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. NSW War Memorials Register