Caulfield, VIC - St Mary's Anglican
Year Built: 1871
Architect: Reed and Barnes
Traditional Owners: Bunurong people
Last Updated: 30/04/2023
History and Architecture:
The first Anglican service held in Caulfield was conducted by the Reverend Samuel Taylor (from St Andrew's Brighton) and Reverend David Seddon (of Christ Church St Kilda) in Park Street.
In 1859 steps were taken to build a Church, which for some years was known as '"All Saints." Sir George Stephen gave a quarter of an acre of land, on which the Sunday School now stands, and the centre portion of the old Church was built, of wood, on a foundation of Bluestone.
An early English Gothic design by the architectural firm of Reed and Barnes. The Church is constructed of bluestone and was erected between 1870 and 1871. It replaced an earlier primitive wooden Church built in 1859. The Church was changed to St Mary's in 1864.
The Church was opened for worship by Bishop Perry on May 26th, 1871. The Church was consecrated by Bishop Moorhouse, on July 8th, 1884. The transept and gallery were added at a later date (1885).
St Mary's became Oaktree Anglican in late 2014 upon the merger of St Mary’s Caulfield and St Clement’s Elsternwick.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1861 -||Rev W Baxter|
|1863 -||Rev C. M. Watson|
|1864 - 1868||Rev J Stanley Low|
|1868 - 1898||Rev H. B. Macartney|
|1884 -||Rev Philip Bailhache||Curate||1833||1903|
|1899 - 1909||Rev Alfred J.H. Priest|
|1889 -||Rev Henry William Howells Adeney||Curate||1834||1931|
|1891 - 1892||Rev Colin Campbell Walker||Curate||1865||1941|
|1893 - 1894||Rev William Carey Ward||1867||1940|
|1893 - 1895||Rev James Lacy Winn||1850||1923|
|1897 - 1898||Rev Robert Brodribb Hammond||Curate||1870||1946|
|1898 - 1899||Rev Harry Frederick Goss||1870||1943|
|1903 - 1906||Rev Clive Meillon Statham||Curate|
|1906 - 1908||Rev George Cox||Curate||1871||1946|
|1920 -||Rev John Stanley Wells||Asst||1867||1927|
|1920 -||Rev Charles Tunstall Boreham||Curate||1877||1935|
|1922 - 1923||Rev James Townsend||Curate||1887||1974|
|1924 - 1925||Rev Herbert Douglas Campbell||Curate||1887||1960|
|1924 - 1936||Rev Albert Sydney Devenish||Curate||1863||1947|
|1927 - 1928||Rev Herbert Henry Hammond||Locum||1890||1955|
|1933 - 1935||Rev Walter Montague Corden||Curate||1881||1951|
|1936 - 1942||Rev Leo Rubie Connell||Curate||1880||1928|
|1939 - 1940||Rev James Robert Waterman||Curate||1902||1974|
|1942 - 1948||Rev John Heyliger Dewhurst||1879||1972|
|1946 - 1948||Rev Eric Royston Baldwin||1922|
|1948 - 1962||Rev Edmund Franklin Cooper||1897||1963|
|1963 - 1964||Rev R. L. Braddon|
|1963 - 1978||Rev Cedric Caryle Cowling||1912||1978|
|1966 -||Rev Christopher Nutter Thomas||Dean|
|1971 - 1973||Rev Ian William Cox||1943|
|1977 - 1979||Rev R Lenthall||Asst|
|1981 - 1985||Rev Colin Joseph Coish|
|2011 -||Rev Mark Durie|
|2022 ? -||Rev Mark Juers|
The first organ was removed to Christ Church Anglican Church, St Arnaud. The second organ removed to Wesley College Chapel, Prahran. The present organ was built in 1933 & electrified in 1951 by George Fincham & Sons. It has 3m, 13rks ext (54 spst), 6c, elpn. Altns 1981- W.S. Glasson (new console piston and stop action completed 1991).
A full description and photos can be seen here.
1. St Mary's Church Caulfied Jubilee 1858 - 1908 Souvenir Record of 50 Years. LTP 283.9451 H 62 S.
2. Cable Clerical Index.
3. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.