Claremont, TAS - St Bernard's Catholic
Year Built: 1958
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: 27 Wyndham Road, Claremont, Tasmania, 7011
Traditional Owners: Palawa people
Last Updated: 22/07/2022
History and Architecture:
The Marist Fathers took charge of St. Bernard's Parish, Claremont, when Father O'Halloran, SM, came as parish priest in February 1958. Archbishop Guilford Young blessed and opened St. Bernard's Church, in Wyndham Road on April 20, 1958. Working bees organised by Father J. C. Wallis (Claremont was served from Glenorchy before the Marists came) had helped keep costs low. Father Wallis chose the name "St. Bernard's" because of the saint's outstanding devotion to Our Lady. Before the church was built, Claremont Catholics went to Mass at Cadbury's Hall, and later in the local Memorial Hall.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1958 - 1959||Father O'Halloran|
|1962 -||Father Leon F Dowden|
|1962 - 1965||Father Tom Moloney|
|1965 -||Father Vin McCabe|
|1968 -||Father Pat McCabe||Asst|
|2020 ? -||Father Suresh Sesusion|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Pricesless Heritiage W.T. Southerwood.