Clayfield, QLD - Scots Presbyterian Memorial

Year Built: 1889

Denomination: Presbyterian

Address: 29 Bellevue Terrace, Clayfield, Queensland, 4011

Architect: A.B. Wilson

Traditional Owners: Turrbal people

Last Updated: 27/02/2024

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The original Scots Presbyterian Church was designed by AB Wilson, architect, and built by James Watterson in Balmain Street, Maida Hill. It was opened for worship on Sunday May 18, 1889. The congregation decided to enlarge the church in the early 1900s and this site at the corner of Bellevue Terrace and Queens Rd was acquired. The church was moved from Balmain Street to this site and re-erected and enlarged during 1904. It was re-opened in May 1904 .

A Foundation stone reads, " Scots Memorial Presbyterian Church to the Glory of God this stone was uveiled by Mr and Mrs J Swithin R. Whylie representing all who have served this Church which is now rebuilt as a memorial to her sons and daughters who gave themselves in the two world wars. First also loved the Church and gave themselves for it".


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1889 - 1891 Rev J. Sommerville
1931 - 1947 Rev Daid Galloway
1947 - Rev S. E. Makay
2022 ? - Rev John Gilmour


The first organ was built by Whitehouse & Co of Brisbane in 1907. Removed in 1933 to St Alban's Anglican Church, Toowoomba. The present Organ was built by Whitehouse Brothers of Brisbane in 1933. Additions in 1955. It has 2 manuals, 8 speaking stops, tubular-pneumatic action. It was rebuilt & enlarged in 1968 Whitehouse Brothers with 2 manuals, 14 speaking stops, electro-pneumatic action.
A full description can be seen here.


1. The Centenary History of the Presbyterian Church in Queensland. Richard Bardon 1949.
2. Organ Historial Trust of Australia with permission.
3. Brisbane Heritage website.