Clunes, VIC - St Paul's Anglican
Year Built: 1870
Architect: Thomas Austin
Traditional Owners: Dja Dja Wurrung people
Last Updated: 22/03/2023
History and Architecture:
The former church was built in 1859-60 on a different site, in Fraser Street, and as a single nave. The later church, built in 1870-71 of bluestone with cement dressings, is in the Decorated Gothic mode, and is the only identifiable Australian work of the architect Thomas Austin of Austin and Johnson.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1859 - 1866||Rev George Pollard||1823||1895|
|1865 - 1870||Rev Thomas Middleton Phillips||1837||1899|
|1870 - 1876||Rev John Edward Herring||1836||1896|
|1876 - 1884||Rev Henry Edward Cooper||1845||1916|
|1878 - 1881||Rev Edmund John Franklin||Curate 79 - 81 Deacon||1851||1936|
|1884 - 1885||Rev Henry Finter||1845||1923|
|1886 - 1886||Rev John Frederick Dewhurst||1845||1893|
|1903 - 1907||Rev John Alfred Cue||Curate||1872||1960|
|1907 - 1912||Rev Frederick William Coupe||1872||1952|
|1912 - 1915||Rev Frederick Thomas Charles Reynolds||1862||1942|
|1916 - 1924||Rev Charles Edward Smith||1870||1963|
|1924 - 1925||Rev Norman Alexander McLean||1879||1961|
|1926 - 1928||Rev William Auguste Wilson||1879||1949|
|1928 - 1933||Rev Frank Girdler||1879||1935|
|1933 - 1933||Rev Walter Richardson||1872||1956|
|1945 - 1945||Rev Walter Richardson||1872||1956|
|1945 - 1948||Rev James Henry Duffy||1885||1962|
|1948 - 1957||Rev Harold Sydney James Bodley||1887||1957|
|1958 - 1963||Rev Arnold Oswald Mott||1913||1963|
|1966 - 1969||Rev George Eric Mutten||1899||1996|
The organ was built by Hamlin & Son, 8 Brook Street, Euston Road, London, around 1860 for unknown private client. Installed in 1881 in the Methodist Church, Daylesford. Installed in the present location in 1888. Restored in 2018 by the Australian Pipe Organs Pty Ltd.
A full description and photos can be seen here.
1. Cable Clerical Index with permission.
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.