Clunes, VIC - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic (Former)
Year Built: 1872
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Saint: Thomas Aquinas
Address: 90 Bailey Street, Clunes, Victoria, 3370
Architect: Henry Richards Caselli and W. B. Tappin
Traditional Owners: Dja Dja Wurrung people
Last Updated: 18/03/2023
History and Architecture:
The first Church was erected in 1858. The second Church was opened Sunday July 1st 1866. The Church was made of wood and was 58 foot long by 20 foot wide with the walls rising 12 feet.
The third church was constructed in bluestone and was designed by Henry R. Caselli and W. B. Tappin and was built between 1872 and 1873. It's based on the plans of St Patrick's in Ballarat and the St Patrick's in Port Fairy (both designed by Charles Hansom).
The Church was opened on 9 March 1873 by the Right Reverend J.A. Gould Bishop of Melbourne. The Church was closed in 2018.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1875 - 1883||Father Robert Scanlan|
|1883 - 1889||Father Joseph O'Brien|
|1889 - 1891||Father James Kissane||1909|
|1891 -||Father John Barrett||1933|
|-||Father T. McElligot||1902|
|1902 - 1912||Father Patrick Kennelly||1947|
|1912 - 1920||Father Henry O'Kane|
|1920 - 1930||Father James Brophy||1964|
|1930 - 1947||Father Peter O'Shannassy||1976|
|1947 - 1951||Father Robert Gellie||1951|
|1952 - 1958||Father Vincent Ryan|
|1958 - 1972||Father O'Bryan|
|1972 -||Father Thomas Kennedy||Locum|
|2015 -||Rev Gary Jones|
The Harmonium organ which was removed when the Chuch closed and is now locaed in he Clunes Museum.
1. St Thomas Aquinas Church Clunes Centenary Celebrations 1974. LTP 282.94531 C62S