Colac, VIC - Uniting (20147)
Year Built: 1877
Previous Denomination: Presbyterian
Last Updated: 06/01/2021
History and Architecture:
Formerly a Presbyterian Church. In 1852 the very firstr chapel Gows Chapel was destroyed by fire. The new church opened on 5 November 1854 on the south east corner of the present site and cost 1,750.00 to erect. By 1876 a new church was needed and a tender of 3,284.00 was accepted from Mr Bullings. The Foundation stone was laid on 19 April 1877 by Mr Andrew Murray. This new church was opened on 16 December 1877.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1847 - 1852||Rev John Gow||P|
|1852 - 1855||Rev Patrick McLaggan||P|
|1855 - 1866||Rev Hugh Blair||P|
|1866 -||Rev J. D. Dickie||P|
|1899 - 1910||Rev John McKenzie||P|
|1910 - 1916||Rev George B. Murphy||P|
|1916 - 1922||Rev Karl Forster||P|
|1922 - 1934||Rev D. D. Munro||P|
|1934 - 1946||Rev Charles Matear||P|
|1946 - 1951||Rev Mervyn Roberts||P|
|1951 - 1960||Rev J. Sydney||P|
|1960 - 1971||Rev W. B. Hastie||P|
|1971 -||Rev J S Holden||P|
|2009 -||Rev Rosslyn Read||U|
A cabinet organ was installed around 1877 for a cost of 75.00. The memorial organ was re furbished in 1951.