Colebrook, TAS - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1857

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Patrick

Address: 2 Arthur Street, Colebrook, Tasmania, 7027

Architect: Augustus Pugin

Architectural Style: Gothic

Last Updated: 04/03/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

Ashlar Gothic church. Comprises chancel, nave, north and south aisles, sacristy and north porch. East window with tracery-aisle windows (lancet) in couplets as are quatrefoil lights to clerestory. Gable iron roof. Stone balustrade and porch. A stone church in a small country town designed by Frederick Thomas and erected in 1856. The building is successful in reproducing traditional Gothic forms.

Bishop Wilson approved the construction of a large church at Colebrook towards the end of 1854. The Government was approached to supply  " a few loads of metal" in order "to make good the approaches to the proposed church': This paltry assistance was given. However When asked if more substantial help by allowing timber for the church to be cut in Government land, free of the license fee, the Government said no.

Designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin in 1843. The Church was built between 1855 and 1857.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1858 - 1864 Father Edward Marum


The Organ was built in 2014-15 by Hans Meijer. It has 1m, 5spst, no pedals, tr. Man: 8.8 divided.4 divided. 4. 2 divided.


1. Priceless Heritage, W.T. Southerwood
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.