Coomera, QLD - Uniting
Previous Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist
Traditional Owners: Yugambeh people
Last Updated: 08/11/2022
History and Architecture:
Coomera Wesleyan Methodist Church opened on Sunday 17 May 1874.
The district of Coomera was first settled in the year 1867. Rev Isaac Harding who after having been minister of Albert Street Church 1868 to 1870 as well as Chairman of the Queensland District of the Methodist Church, retired as a Supernumerary Minister and settled at Pimpama where with his family he secured land and made it his home. He took charge of the scattered district in 1871 and though "retired" he rode far and wide.
When the time came for the building of a place for worship the land was donated by Catherine McPhail. On the two acres, two roods, 30 perches of land on the northern bank of the Coomera River a small wooden building was erected by Mr A. Fortune. The first service of worship service was on May 17, 1884. On April 11, 1885, the land was officially handed over to the church property trustees of the church in 1892 were John Beattie, Ralph Ness ,Wilson, William Robert and Samuel Grimes.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1871 -||Rev Isaac Harding||WM|
|1873 - 1876||Rev T. H. Gibson||WM|
|1877 - 1879||Rev J. W. Collier||WM|
|1880 -||Rev Henry Jones||WM|
|1881 - 1883||Rev Alexander Douglas||WM|
|1884 -||Rev F. W. Roberts||WM|
|1885 -||Rev W. H. Harrison||WM|
|1886 - 1887||Rev William Brown||WM|
|1888 - 1889||Rev Benjamin Dinning||WM|
|1890 - 1891||Rev Benjamin Bottomley||WM|
|1892 - 1894||Rev J. J. Gee||WM|
|1895 - 1897||Rev Eldred Dyer||WM|
|1898 - 1900||Rev Silas Muscio||M|
|1901 - 1903||Rev T. Nock||M|
|1904 - 1906||Rev Stephen Larkin||M|
|1907 -||Rev Alec Hutchinson||M|
|1908 - 1910||Rev W. H. Sanders||M|
|1911 - 1913||Rev Thomas Powell||M|
|1914 - 1917||Rev T. Nock||M|
|1918 - 1920||Rev C. P.J. Clarckson||M|
|1921 - 1924||Rev H. J. Potter||M|
|1925 - 1928||Rev A. S. Rothwell||M|
|1929 -||Rev A. T. Walker||M|
|1930 - 1934||Rev A. H. Hughes||M|
|1935 - 1936||Rev V. Mead||M|
|1937 - 1938||Rev C. T. Palethorpe||M|
|1939 - 1941||Rev I. Bennett||M|
|1942 -||Rev Wilf Tomlinson||M|
|1943 - 1947||Rev T. J. Graham Wilson||M|
|1948 - 1949||Rev H. J. Garnett||M|
|1949 - 1951||Rev Frederick Hof||M|
|1951 - 1956||Rev C. Perry||Missionary|
|1956 - 1959||Rev B. Jopling||M|
|1960 - 1964||Rev H. T. Unwin||M|
|1965 - 1969||Rev R. H. Hirche||M|
|1970 -||Rev G. L. Forrest||M|
|2022 -||Rev Russell Knight||U Locum|
In the early 1900's the congregation purchased an organ and this was used to lead the worship until December, 1973, when a Hammond Electronic organ was given by the surviving children of John and Mary Beattie . Mary (now Mrs Orr) and Caroline in memory of their late brothers and sisters.
1. 2022 Karl Warkus photos
1. Coomera Methodist Church Centenary 1874 - 1974 LS 287.60 COO.