Cootamundra, NSW - Uniting (10160)
Year Built: 1936
Last Updated: 04/01/2021
History and Architecture:
The Foundation stone was laid by John Wilson McClintock on 10 June 1936.
In the 1932 Jubilee Souvenir booklet of the Presbyterian Church, mention was made that the present church building was inadequate for the needs of the growing congregation, and the Board of Management had under review various schemes for its enlargement.
The concept of a new church can be credited to the resourceful talents and foresight of the incumbent Minister, Rev Christopher Thomas Frow Goy (1930 – 36), who became aware that an old home, constructed of granite was available for demolition.
The church was to be 48 feet long by 28 feet in width, with a transcept on either side. The width of the church at the transcept end is 48 feet.
The building was to be of early English Gothic design; the architect for the project was F Purvis of Cootamundra and the successful tenderer for the construction was Frank Mitchell, a local builder and an elder of the Church.
The scheme for the new building commenced in reality when the Mackay family, who were early settlers in the Wallendbeen district, donated the material in their wonderful old home “Granite House”. Immediate steps were taken for the demolition of the old home and carting the stone to the site, on land procured from the Dickson estate.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1936 -||Rev C.T.F. Coy|
No other information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
Church website via John Milnes