Corowa, NSW - Calvery Memorial Uniting
Year Built: 1966
Previous Denomination: Methodist
Last Updated: 07/08/2023
History and Architecture:
In 1878, Rev. Presley was appointed to the Circuit and continued services at Howlang, Rutherglen, Corowa, Barnawartha and Chiltern. Services at Corowa shifted to the Oddfellows Hall at the top end of Sanger Street and were supported by local preachers Messers Trewran, Fraser, Taylor, Thompson, Dr. Whitaker. In April 1879, Rev.J.Leslie was appointed to the District and services at Corowa became infrequent only to drop out of the plan altogether with the appointment of Rev. LT.Cox in February 1880.
The very first Foundation stone was laid by Mr. John M. Sanger of Wangamong Station, on 10th October 1883. The Church was built by Mr w Squires for £450.
A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was set 11th December 1966 by Rev E A Roberts, Chairman Riverina District. The current Church is on the same site as the original Wesleyan Church built in 1883 and demolished 73 years later.
The Church was opened on Saturday 8th July, and stands as a landmark in the town. The Spire of the Church rises 38 feet (11.6 metres) above the footpath level in Queen Street and is surmounted by a 7foot 6 inch (2,3 metres) Cross.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1881 - 1882||Rev A. Hutchinson||WM|
|1882 - 1883||Rev T. Northcote||WM|
|1883 -||Rev E Dunstan||WM|
|1883 -||Rev G. W. Payne||WM|
|1884 - 1885||Rev H. Pennington||WM|
|1885 -||Rev W. H. Hall||WM|
|-||Rev F. J. Branch||WM|
|-||Rev F. Warner||WM|
|-||Rev S. H. McCade||WM|
|-||Miss J. R. Smith||WM|
|-||Miss J. Boyd||WM|
|1898 - 1901||Rev A. T. Huggart||WM|
|1901 - 1902||Rev H. Fleming||WM|
|1902 - 1905||Rev S. Kessell||M|
|1905 - 1907||Rev G. B. Black||M|
|1907 - 1909||Rev G. Read||M|
|1909 - 1910||Rev A. M. Yates||M|
|1910 - 1912||Rev W. W. Danks||M|
|1912 - 1914||Rev H. S. Doust||M|
|1914 - 1916||Rev M. Walker||M|
|1916 - 1917||Rev G. I Pearson||M|
|1917 - 1919||Rev H. G. Whalan||M||1880||1924|
|1919 - 1921||Rev H. T. McGovern||M|
|1921 - 1924||Rev P. H. Curtis||M|
|1924 - 1926||Rev J. Thomas||M|
|1926 - 1929||Rev P. M. Waterhouse||M|
|1929 - 1933||Rev H. E. Burrows||M|
|1933 - 1936||Rev A. J. Davis||M|
|1937 - 1942||Rev A. E. Frede||M||1963|
|1942 - 1943||Rev C. M. Plumb||M|
|1943 - 1944||Rev Henry J. Wilton||M|
|1944 - 1948||Rev G. J. Dillon||M|
|1948 - 1952||Rev W. R. McElhinney||M||1973|
|1952 - 1955||Rev R. Anderson||M|
|1955 - 1959||Rev D. W. Bliss||M|
|1960 - 1963||Rev G. A. Jones||M|
|1964 - 1966||Rev E. D. Manton||M|
|1967 - 1970||Rev N. A. Winter||M|
|1971 - 1974||Rev K R. Kestel||M|
|1975 - 1978||Rev A. Parsons||U|
|1979 - 1980||Rev Neville Clements||U|
|1981 -||Rev F. Sampson||U|
The very first Organ was purchased in 1884 for £35.
1. Reyerson Index.
2. Centenary Souvenir 1883 - 1983