Cowes, VIC - St Philip's Anglican (20691)
Year Built: 1870
Last Updated: 24/02/2022
History and Architecture:
The site of this Church was reserved for church purposes on the 12th April 1869 and was described in official language as being "crown allot 18 and part of 17 of Section 7" and fronting the main street of Cowes.
The style of the building was not in the traditional Gothic style of the times but had a flat ceiling and round headed windows and was part of the revival period. In 1872 it was used as a school room under the direction of a Mr Houston while a State school was being built which was opened in 1874.
The first Vicarage was built in 1915 by Mr Alex McLardy.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1911 -||Rev W Warner||Visiting|
|1912 - 1916||Rev W Burvell|
|1916 - 1918||Rev Russell Frederick Tacon||1879||1950|
|1918 - 1920||Rev C. R Tidmarsh|
|1921 - 1921||Rev E. E Robinson|
|1921 - 1924||Rev C H.W. Clarke|
|1924 - 1926||Rev R E.C. Finger|
|1926 - 1928||Rev Ernest Thomas Leslie||1877||1965|
|1929 - 1932||Rev G S Home|
|1932 - 1936||Rev William Macauley Robertson||1886||1961|
|1937 - 1938||Rev S G.K. Harvey|
|1954 - 1960||Rev Vernon Harold Jenkyn||1885||1973|
|1961 - 1963||Rev L. G. Bell|
|1963 - 1964||Rev Arthur Stuartvant Dence||1903||1968|
|1965 - 1968||Rev D W. Teed|
|1968 - 1972||Rev R Colyer|
|1972 -||Rev H. J. McCann|
|1991 -||Rev Warwick Winsall Hall|
|2019 ? -||Rev Jo White|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Light and Life, A history of the Anglican church in Gippsland
2. Lifetimes of Love. A History of St Phillip's Anglican Church Cowes by Sarah Hudson. Newhaven College 1991. SLTF 283.9452 H96L