Crafers, SA - Church of the Epiphany Anglican
Year Built: 1878
Address: Epiphany Place, Crafers, South Australia, 5152
Last Updated: 17/04/2023
History and Architecture:
The Church was built in 1878 on land donated by Henry Scott. It has a splendid music tradition, a lively choir and one of the finest pipe-organs in South Australia.
Two Foundation stones on the northern wall commemorate the extensions, 11.11.1893, laid by Mrs Henry Scott (nee Emily Gooch), wife of Mr Scott M.P. of Goode How (later renamed Sbanilaston). Mr Scott was one of the three trustees for the original building and 1.10.1898, laid by Mrs Gavin Young, a leading parishioner of her day.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1884 - 1886||Rev Walter Ward||1854||1933|
|1888 -||Rev Richard Twitchell Mathews||1859||1926|
|1892 -||Mr Harry Stewart Slade||Lay Reader||1869||1896|
|1895 - 1897||Rev Frederick Tower||1863||1940|
|1898 - 1898||Rev F H King||Curate||1874||1948|
|1899 -||Rev Arthur Edward Taylor||Curate||1872||1955|
|1900 -||Rev Frank Sewell||Curate||1873||1917|
|1900 - 1909||Rev Francis Herbert Stokes||1854||1929|
|1902 - 1903||Rev Francis Richard Morze||Curate||1866||1931|
|1903 - 1904||Rev Charles Graham Monro||Curate||1855||1901|
|1909 - 1914||Rev Leonard Thomas Maund||1876||1951|
|1914 - 1926||Rev Reginald Kingsmill Collisson||1857||1932|
|1926 - 1956||Rev Henry Edward Inger||1882||1963|
|1956 - 1966||Rev Colin Carew Chittleborough||1901||2001|
|1970 - 1970||Rev Percival McDonald Smith||Locum||1903||1982|
|2020 ? -||Rev Andy Wurm|
|2020 ? -||Rev Barbara Messner||Asst|
The present organ, built by Knud Smenge, of Healesville, Victoria, was dedicated on 3 August 1995. It has mechanical key and stop action and the casework is of solid Jarrah. It has 2 manuals, 22 speaking stops, 3 couplers, with mechanical action.
For a complete history and photos click here.
1. Cable Clerical Index
2. Organ Historial Trust of Australia.