Cygnet, TAS - Uniting
Year Built: 1951
Previous Denomination: Methodist
Traditional Owners: Melukerdee people
Last Updated: 22/07/2022
History and Architecture:
Formerly a Methodist church the foundation stone was laid on 15 December 1951 by the Reverend A.W.R. Milligan Chairman of the Methodist Assembly Tasmania. It replaced a weatherboard building.
Overnight services were being conducted during 1864 and the need for a chapel was felt. A building was constructed during the 1870s. During 1902 the Port Cygnet Circuit had the Rev. Atkinson as its minister. In 1911 the circuit was reduced in status to a Home Mission Station but seven years later was reconstituted a circuit.
The Church must have been having a difficult time for in 1925 it was again reduced to a Home Mission Station and in 1949 was included in the new Huon Circuit.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1918 - 1920||Rev John W. Strickland||M||1967|
|1931 - 1933||Rev Frank W. Hambly||M|
|1933 - 1935||Rev Charles Cook||M|
|1952 - 1953||Rev Basil D. Allen||M|
|- 1953||Rev Joseph Richard Orton - more details||M||1873||1953|
|1953 - 1955||Rev Edward M. Hunkn||M|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Tasmanian Methodism 1820 - 1975. 287.1946 TAS
2. Methodist Church of Australasia Ministerial Index