Dandenong, VIC - St James' Anglican
Year Built: 1865
Architect: Leonard Terry
Traditional Owners: Bunurong people
Last Updated: 18/07/2023
History and Architecture:
The first church service in Dandenong was conducted on July 21, 1850 in Dunbar's Hotel, which also served as a courthouse, saleroom and a general venue for meetings. In October 1863 a meeting of church members and others was arranged to discuss the erection of a church.
The Foundation Stone was laid July 5, 1864, by the Governor of Victoria, Sir Charles Darling, and the opening and dedication took place on January 2, 1865. The building erected was the nave only. The eventual church building was built in the early English style and was purely rectangluar. The opening and dedication by Charles Perry, Bishop of Melbourne, took place on 2 January 1865.
A full history can be seen here.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1867 - 1867||Rev William Archibald Smyly||Lay Reader||1834||1913|
|1868 - 1879||Rev Charles Ludwig Herman Rupp||Locum and Berwick||1839||1917|
|1870 -||Rev William Carter||1808||1889|
|1883 - 1887||Rev Edward Arthur Crawford||1852||1913|
|1887 - 1900||Rev Amos Brazier||1831||1910|
|1896 - 1897||Rev John Carrington||Locum||1869||1948|
|1900 - 1925||Rev Edward Gritton Veal||1853||1946|
|1919 - 1932||Archdeacon George Ellis Aickin||1869||1937|
|1925 - 1930||Rev Francis Ellerker Lewin||1884||1955|
|1927 - 1928||Rev George Gordon Tymms||Curate||1877||1961|
|1930 - 1933||Rev Francis Morton||1881||1941|
|1931 -||Rev Edgar Alan James||Reader||1909||1998|
|1932 - 1932||Archdeacon William Hancock||1863||1955|
|1932 - 1937||Archdeacon Joseph John Booth||1886||1965|
|1933 - 1935||Rev Alfred Craig||1889||1968|
|1935 - 1938||Rev Alfred Mannnig Levick||1882||1971|
|1938 - 1944||Rev Alfred Reynolds Sinclair||1880||1963|
|1945 - 1949||Rev Charles Clement MacMichael||Exchange for Rev Sinclair||1880||1949|
|1949 - 1961||Rev Michael John Clarke||1913||1973|
|1956 - 1958||Rev Geoffrey Edgar Moorhouse||Curate||1913||1993|
|1961 - 1972||Rev Egan Moulton Eggleston||1907||1992|
|1972 - 1974||Rev Reginald Victor Bolt||Rural Dean||1914||1992|
The present Organ was built by Gray & Davison of London in 1867, for St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral, Ballarat. It had 2 manuals, 25 speaking stops, 3 couplers, mechanical action. Rebuilt in 1898 by George Fincham, Melbourne. Rebuilt again and installed in present location in 1931 by George Fincham & Sons Pty Ltd. Rebuilt in 1962 by Hill, Norman & Beard. Alterations made in 1979 by R.J. Heatley of Melbourne. Additions in 1992 by Australian Pipe Organs Pty Ltd, Melbourne. It has 2 manuals, 25 speaking stops, 9 couplers, electro-pneumatic action.
A full description and photos can be seen here.
1. 2023 Wayne Lindsay for church photo
1. Church website.
2. Cable Clerical Index with permission.
3. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.