Daylesford, VIC - Christ Church Anglican
Year Built: 1863
Address: 54 Central Springs Road, Daylesford, Victoria, 3460
Architect: Leonard Terry
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri, Taungurung & Dja Dja Wurrung people
Last Updated: 19/04/2023
History and Architecture:
An early and good example of Leonard Terry's church design, dating from 1862-3, and in the Early English style. The building comprises a spacious nave of six bays, porch and elevated chancel.
The church was built between 1862 and 1863 and the Chancel added in 1896. The original portion was funded by the local people under direction of Mr W. E. Stanbridge, and the same person, for some years Member of Legislative Council of Victoria, bequeathed the money to add the 1896 chancel.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1860 - 1866||Rev Edward Gifford Pryce||1814||1904|
|1867 - 1869||Rev George Pollard||1823||1895|
|1869 -||Rev Ralph Barker||1825||1878|
|1871 - 1873||Rev James Deane Brennan||1830||1876|
|1873 - 1876||Rev Thomas Holme||1835||1907|
|1876 - 1876||Rev James Norton||Curate||1836||1893|
|1876 - 1886||Rev George Erwin Armstrong||1832||1899|
|1887 - 1894||Rev Benjamin Rodda||1842||1895|
|1894 - 1900||Rev Samuel Sandiford||1849||1926|
|1900 - 1907||Rev George Alfred Parker||1858||1916|
|1905 - 1907||Rev William George Chisholm||1874||1953|
|1905 - 1909||Rev Robert Henry Holmes||1877||1963|
|1909 - 1911||Rev John Clive Herring||Curate||1881||1979|
|1911 - 1911||Rev Archibald Henry Constable||Locum||1871||1947|
|1911 -||Rev Albert Charles Edwards||Reader||1889||1977|
|1912 - 1923||Rev John Carrington||1869||1948|
|1913 - 1914||Rev Augustus Malley||Curate||1883||1962|
|1915 - 1916||Rev Albert Stanley Nicholas||Curate||1886||1959|
|1919 - 1920||Rev Robert Clarence Johnston||Curate||1892||1959|
|1923 - 1926||Rev Ernest Stanley Yeo||1891||1961|
|1924 -||Rev Leonard Daniel Steinhauser||Lay Reader|
|1926 - 1938||Rev Stanley Dumaresque Yarrington||1881||1963|
|1929 - 1933||Rev Maxwell Auton Radford||Curate||1902||1963|
|1936 - 1937||Rev William Edmund Holt||Curate||1909||1945|
|1938 - 1947||Rev Richard Paull Blennerhassett||1888||1957|
|1943 - 1944||Rev Alexander McIver Wright||Curate||1914||1991|
|1947 - 1953||Rev Eldred Ernest Saville||1911||1988|
|1953 - 1955||Rev Walter Charles Whitehead||1910||1984|
|1956 -||Rev John Fenton Gibbins||1909||1970|
|1973 - 1976||Rev Clifford Kemp Page||1911||2005|
|2022 ? -||Rev Neil Jürgen Fitzgerald|
The organ was built in 1871 by George Fincham and is one of only a handful of early examples of his work to remain intact; the cost was £320. It was opened at a recital given on 1 October 1871 by P.C. Plaisted. Rrenovated in 1979 by Leighton Turner. Originally placed in the nave both at gallery and floor level, it is now sited in a chamber to the right of the chancel.
A full description can be seen here.
1. Cable Clerical Index with permission.
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.