Deloriane, TAS - St Mark's Anglican (8141)

Year Built: 1859

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: Mark

Address: 7 E Westbury Place, Deloraine, Tasmania, 7304

Last Updated: 15/05/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (3 photos)

History and Architecture:

The foundation stone was laid by the Lord Bishop of the Diocese in 1856, but, from various causes incidental to a new country, the work was delayed much longer than Was at first anticipated. The exterior, however, is completed and interior in such a state of forwardness that it is expected it would be ready for opening about Christmas.

It was dedicated in March 1859 and consecrated in March 1860. The Church cost £2,100 to erect. At the time of its opening the Church consisted of the present nave, the tower and spire, and a small chancel measuring 68 ft. The architect for the church was Henry Clayton.

A Foundation sone on the hall next door reads, " This stone was laid by his Excellency Sir W. Grevellison Macartney on Wednesday January 19th 1916".

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1846 - 1854 Rev M Williams Missionary Chaplain 1846 - 1848
1854 - 1862 Rev J. M McIntyre
1862 - 1880 Rev Edward Patten Adams 1832 1894
1880 - 1886 Rev Jonathan T Evans
1886 - 1893 Rev J. G. Marling
1893 - 1899 Rev L. T Tarleton
1899 - 1902 Rev A. G. Lingley
1902 - 1908 Rev Herbert Robert Finnis 1854 1936
1908 - 1913 Rev F Riley
1913 - 1916 Rev G Rowe 1943
1916 - 1919 Rev Stephen Percy Hatherton Martin 1872 1957
1919 - 1922 Rev William Keith Douglas
1923 - 1927 Rev R W. Thomas
1927 - 1928 Rev F. J. McCabe
1928 - 1935 Rev F. H Landsell
1935 - 1938 Rev C. C Robertson
1939 - 1948 Rev A. E Chamberlain
1948 - 1952 Rev K B Skegg
1952 - 1954 Rev H H. Butler
1954 - 1965 Rev G N.B. Lennard
1965 - 1969 Rev Edward Esling 1907 1993
1969 - Rev W M Harris
2017 - Rev Joshua Skeat

Organ:

The Organ was built in 1860 by J.W. Walker, of London at a cost of £60. For a complete description click here.

Source:

1. History of St Mark's Church 1847 - 1909 compiled by Mr G Scott.
2. Church Website.
3. Organ Historical Trust of Australia