Denman, NSW - St Matthias Anglican
Year Built: 1875
Address: 50 Palace Street, Denman, New South Wales, 2328
Last Updated: 18/09/2022
History and Architecture:
The name Denman was gazetted in 1855, named after Lord Denman, who was later to become the 5th Governor General of Australia in 1911-1914. Lieutenant William Ogilvie was the first European settler in 1825. The first settlement was known as Merton which was located on the opposite side of the Hunter River to the present-day Denman and was gazetted in 1853 and was named after Lord Denman, who later became Governor General of Australia.
The Centenary stone was blessed on 2 November 1975 by Ian Ninth Bishop of Newscastle to commemorate the consecretion of the church on 4 November 1875 and the formation of the Parish of Denman on 1 January 1876. Rector at the time was J.H. West Th. L.
The parish comprises the central Church of St Matthias and three centres, these being St Martins, Martindale, St Marks, Wybong and St Matthews, Mt Dangar. There are also regular services held at the Merton Village (Retirement Village), Merton Court (Nursing Home) and Denman Multi Purpose Service, MPS also known as the Hospital.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1875 -||Rector J. H. West|
|1876 - 1903||Rev Charles Markham Mills||1847||1932|
|1903 - 1907||Rev Harold Spencer Portus||1874||1941|
|1907 - 1911||Rev Montague George Garbett||1862||1947|
|1911 - 1916||Rev Arthur George King||1862||1941|
|1914 - 1915||Rev Horace Hobart||Locum||1886||1968|
|1918 - 1920||Rev Keith Stewart Single||1887||1951|
|1921 - 1925||Rev Leonard Ayscough||Locum||1885||1942|
|1925 - 1926||Rev Bicton Clemence Wilson||1881||1945|
|1926 - 1933||Rev William Holmes||1889||1959|
|1933 - 1937||Rev Walter Emra Burkitt||1891||1947|
|1937 - 1941||Rev James Athelston Smith||1899||1973|
|1937 -||Rev Charles Mortmer Thomas||Locum||1865||1947|
|1941 - 1946||Rev Frank Raymond Elder||1888||1962|
|1947 - 1953||Rev John Brown Neville||1904||1970|
|1953 - 1960||Rev Roscoe Ward Ayscough||1915||1966|
|1981 -||Rev Milton Wallace Williams||Locum||1907||1993|
|2012 -||Rector David Craig|
The organ was built in 1876 by J.W. Walker & Sons, of London.
Deb Doran supplied the photos 2012
1. Cable Clerical Index.