Diamond Creek, VIC - Uniting (20161)

Year Built: 1984

Denomination: Uniting

Address: 32 Wensley Street, Diamond Creek, Victoria, 3089

Previous Denomination: Methodist

Last Updated: 10/01/2021

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The Diamond Valley Parish traces its origins to the Heidelberg Primitive Methodist Mission, which dates from 1854. The Primitive Methodist Church was a nineteenth century evangelical revival grounded in the teachings of John Wesley. A branch of Methodism, Primitive Methodism originated amongst the poorest farmer labourers and miners of the English midlands, and spread throughout England and eventually to the colonies.

The first Primitive Methodist service was held in Melbourne in 1849.

The Heidelberg Mission opened a church Eltham in 1860, then reached out to Diamond Creek. It is believed that services commenced in a barn, near the site of the present Diamond Creek East Primary School, in the September quarter of 1861. In March 1862 a small chapel was built on a site 500 metres east of the present church. That little chapel was the first church, and possibly the first public building, in the Diamond Creek district. It also housed the district's first school.

A Foundation stone was laid by Reverand R. Milligan on 3 November 1963. The church is predominantly made out of mud bricks and was erected in 1984.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1861 - 1865 Rev Henry Heathershaw M
1865 - 1867 Rev J.H. Brown M
1868 - 1869 Rev Henry Robinson M
1870 - 1871 Rev W.H. Walton M
1871 - 1875 Rev Alfred T. Glasson M
1876 - 1877 Rev William Adams M
1877 - 1878 Rev William Moore M
1878 - 1879 Rev A.M. Taylor M
1879 - 1880 Rev R. Newell M
1880 - 1881 Rev William Ride M
1881 - 1883 Rev Samuel Richards M
1883 - 1884 Rev John Ogiethorpe M
1885 - 1886 Rev William Ride M
1886 - 1889 Rev Robert Jackson M
1889 - 1891 Rev Thomas Roberts M
1892 - 1896 Thomas Nichols M
1896 - 1899 Rev Charles Mason M
1899 - 1900 Rev G.R. Neilson M
1900 - 1903 Henry J. Wiltshire M
1903 - 1906 Ephraim C. Perkins M
1906 - 1907 R.T. Marshall M
1907 - 1910 F.R. Wilks M
1908 - William H. Collom M
1910 - 1913 Alfred Coates M
1913 - 1916 Benjamin Moffatt M
1916 - Walter J.C. Ashley M
1916 - 1919 E.C. Mcintosh Brown M
1919 - 1921 Henry D. Ford M
1922 - 1924 William H. Collom M
1924 - 1927 Joshua Courtney M
1927 - Bert Seaton M
1927 - 1931 Rev A.W.R. Milligan M
1931 - 1934 Rev C.K. Daws M
1934 - 1936 Rev C.P. Murray M
1935 - 1938 Rev P. Lassam M
1938 - 1941 Rev S. Shepherd M
1941 - 1946 Pastor G. Richards M
1946 - 1953 Pastor F. Garrett M
1953 - 1955 Pastor A.E. Dunstan M
1955 - 1960 Pastor R.B. Hewes M
1960 - 1968 Pastor R.B. Lade M
1968 - 1971 Pastor R. Harkness M
1972 - 9183 Pastor B. Haywood M
1973 - 1977 Rev I. Haywood M
1977 - 1984 Rev C. Chapman U
1985 - Rev J. Torris U
1986 - 1983 Rev W. Lowrey U
1994 - 2002 Rev G. Joyce U
2003 - 2008 Rev B. Wood U
2008 - 2009 Rev S. Bannon U
2009 - Rev Loni Vaitohi U
2016 - Rev Fiona Hill U

Extracts:

1. A History of the Diamond Valey Uniting Church 1861 - 1961. Lesley Alves. SLT 287.93099451 AL8H
2. The Church website