Dimboola, VIC - St Peter's Anglican (20217)

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: Peter

Address: Church Street, Dimboola, Victoria, 3414

Last Updated: 06/01/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

In 1858 Bishop Perry first visited this area. The first church was a log cabin built approximately in 1861 but conjecture surrounds where it came from and who supplied it (Presbyterians or a local land holder). The first Minister to reside in Dimboola was Rev George Geer in 1881. Tenders for a new brick church were called in November of 1884 and a Mr Cooper was the builder. The foundation stone was laid on 23 June of 1885 by Archdeacon Churchill Julius. The opening of the church took place in November of 1885.*

An extension was embarked on in 1927 and again in 1957. Planning for the centenary was commenced in 1983 and at this time repairs were made to the interiors including painting, re stripping of plaster and the structure of the building.*

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1881 - 1884 Rev George Geer
1884 - 1886 Rev Reginald Hayman
1886 - 1888 Rev William Howell
1888 - 1893 Rev William Puttock
1893 - 1895 Mr Francis Knowles
1895 - 1900 Mr William Osman Jessop
1900 - 1906 Mr George Chapman
1906 - 1910 Rev Albert Panchaud
1910 - 1916 Rev Walter Charles Wood
1916 - 1917 Rev Norman Crawford
1917 - 1921 Rev Lewis Williams
1921 - 9124 Rev William John Powney 1862 1932
1932 - 1934 Rev Malcolm Cecil Whiteridge Gooden 1894 1969
1934 - 1937 Rev John Hall
1937 - 1941 Rev Kenneth Goodisson
1941 - 1942 Rev James Neil
1942 - 1944 Mr Arnold Mott
1944 - 1946 Rev Hubert Price
1946 - 1954 Rev Lewis Samuel Langdon 1903 1975
1954 - 1955 Rev Stephen Greenham
1955 - 1957 Rev Jack Wills
1957 - 1961 Rev Anthony James Taylor 1932
1961 - 1966 Rev Neville John Thulborn 1935
1966 - 1970 Rev Graham Farrell
1970 - 1974 Rev Gavin Ott
1974 - 1980 Rev Austin Brehaut 1935
1980 - Rev Neil William Fryer 1944
1991 - 1995 Rev D R Oulton

Organ:

A Mason and Hamlin was the first organ installed followed by Esley in 1905. Miss Ann Powney was the Organist from 1921 1968 a total of 47 years.*

Source:

The Rock Endures. A History of the Anglican Church in Dimboola. SLT 283.9458 R59W