Dookie, VIC - St Mary's Catholic
Year Built: 1898
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Architect: C Kempson and W Connolly
Traditional Owners: Yorta Yorta people
Last Updated: 03/08/2023
History and Architecture:
The Church name was changed to St Mary's around 1890. The current Church was designed by Messrs Kempson and Connolly with a cost of £2,000. Of Gothic style it was to have a length of 72 feet a depth of 25 feet with a depth across the transepts of 51 feet. The brick walls were to have cement dado to a height of 4 feet 6ins running around the entire length of the building, porches etc. The Church was built by Messrs Alexander and Torgrimson.
A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Right Revd Dr Reville OSA Coadjutor Bishop of Sandhurst 18th September 1898".
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1890 - 1896||Father T. J. O'Connell|
|1893 - 1895||Father T. O'Brian||Asst|
|1895 - 1898||Father William McCormack||Asst||1898|
|1896 - 1903||Father Denis Hogan||1937|
|1903 - 1904||Father John Counihan|
|1904 - 1911||Father William Tobin||1932|
|1911 - 1914||Father T. J. Rooney||1930|
|1914 - 1928||Father Matthew Joseph Rohan||1953|
|1928 - 1959||Father J. Moran||Manager|
|1957 - 1960||Father J. Kiniry||Administrator||1987|
|1960 -||Father A. R. Owens|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. St Mary's Parish Dookie 1890 - 1990 SLT 282.9454 S24T