Drouin, VIC - Christ Church Anglican (20271)

Year Built: 1936

Denomination: Anglican

Address: 4 Frances Avenue, Drouin, Victoria, 3818

Last Updated: 07/01/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The original Christ Church was built in 1880 on land donated on cnr Grant St and Albert Road by Mrs Richard Higgs. It was dedicated on 18 January 1880 by Dean McCartney of Melbourne.

In 1888, land was purchased in Main St Drouin.

By 1906 a proposal to build a new church was made after the old church was in a bad state of repairs and by March 1911, the existing church had to be renovated.

The foundation stone of the current church was laid by Bishop Cranswick the second Bishop of Gippsland on 27 January 1936. The Architect was Alan Dixon. The cost was £1,850. The Vicar at the time was Rev Claude Woodhouse.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1882 - 1883 Rev H.E. Potter
1885 - 1888 Mr A. J. Francis Reader
1888 - 1889 Rev W. R. Elvery
1890 - 1892 Rev W. R. Cooling
1892 - 1895 Rev P. J. Edwards
1895 - 1900 Rev A. J. Cole
1900 - 1906 Rev W. Reed
1906 - 1913 Rev A.H. Westley
1914 - 1921 Rev B.T. Syer
1921 - 1923 Rev P.A. Wisewould
1923 - 1925 Rev A.G. Powell
1925 - 1926 Rev W. V. Gurnett
1926 - 1934 Rev J. G. Baxter
1934 - 1935 Rev T. D. Beyer
1935 - 1942 Rev C. Woodhouse
1941 - 1942 Rev A.J. Maher
1942 - 1945 Rev W. McSpedden
1945 - 1947 Rev P. J. Ackland
1948 - 1950 Rev J.G. Titus Rees
1950 - 1955 Rev N. W. McDonald
1995 - 1998 Rev Ronald Walker Chidgey 1938
2015 - Rev Dean Spalding
1955 - 1956 Rev S. V. Satchell
1956 - 1969 Rev W. T. Regnier
1970 - 1976 Rev E. G. Gibson
1976 - Rev L. W. Biggs
2010 - Rev Amy Turner

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Extracts:

Light and Life, A history of the Anglican Church in Gippsland