Eaglehawk, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: Peter

Address: 63 High Street, Eaglehawk, Victoria, 3556

Architect: H.E. Tolhurst

Traditional Owners: Dja Dja Wurrung people

Last Updated: 18/04/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

The Church replaced an earlier stone building opened in 1863. It was designed by vestryman H.E. Tolhurst and opened in 1874.


These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1899 - 1900 Rev Frank Grist Locum 1867 1930
1901 - 1902 Rev Frederick Herbert Gibbs 1861 1923
1903 - 1905 Rev Hugh Harrison Gardner 1864 1927
1945 - 1946 Rev Albert Thomas Hope 1888 1961
1982 - 1982 Rev Vivian Hilder Julien Locum 1914 1996


The Organ was built in c.1886 by Alfred Crook for his residence in Brunswick. Later installed in his residence at Lockwood and the Congregational Churches in Forest Street in 1893 and Olinda Street, Bendigo in 1938. Renovated & installed present location in 1971 by R.A. Anderson and others. It had 2 manuals, 10 speaking stops, 3 couplers, tracker action. Removed in 2013, restored and installed in 2014 at St Mary-the-Virgin Anglican-Catholic Church, Caulfield South.
A full description and photos can be seen here.


1. Cable Clerical Index with permission
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia.