East Geelong, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican (20419)
Last Updated: 12/01/2022
History and Architecture:
Officially opened on 6 February 1890 by Canon Goodman Vicar of Christ Church, the original building was situated on the corner of Fitzroy Street with Services being conducted by the Vicar of Christ Church or the Curate or Mr G.F. Belcher.
In 1919 negotiations were opened for the purchase of part of the old Geelong Grammar School sports ground, and expansion and planning became possible. The Vicarage was built in 1921 and seven years later on 22 September 1928 the foundation stone of the new church was laid by Bishop Green.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1916 - 1918||Rev Thomas Tinniswood||1868||1948|
|1918 - 1929||Rev James William Percy Oates||1879||1962|
|1929 - 1931||Rev P W. Robinson||1889||1952|
|1931 - 1934||Rev J. H Raverty|
|1935 - 1937||Rev R M Hudson|
|1937 - 1947||Rev U R Tyler|
|1940 - 1945||Rev Ambrose Ronald May||Locum||1908||1966|
|1947 - 1950||Rev C. R Miles|
|1950 - 1957||Rev L. J. Cohn|
|1957 - 1965||Rev J. H Shilton|
|1965 - 1979||Rev P R Payn|
|1979 - 1990||Rev Lawrence Victor Green|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
Anglicans in Geelong 1842 - 1990 283.945 ROBN