Elmore, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1899

Denomination: Uniting

Address: Corner of Hervey & Clarke Streets, Elmore, Victoria, 3558

Previous Denomination: Presbyterian

Architect: Vahland and Son

Traditional Owners: Dja Dja Wurrung people

Last Updated: 13/09/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

Services were held in the Athenaeum Hall. Attendances taxed the accommodation. Mr Inglis donated the Church site and plans were submitted by Messrs Vahland and Son were approved on the 24th November 1898. The committee undertook to supply the bricks, sand, lime and water. Of seven tenders submitted, that of Mr Paynter, for the pounds, 18 shillings and sixpence was accepted. St Andrew's Presbyterian Church as it was then called was opened on Sunday, 18th June 1899.

Elmore became a Home Mission station with a resident Missionary on 21st June 1905.

With a falling population in Elmore it was decided that the Methodist and Presbyterian congregations would combine and become Elmore United Church in 1969, In the early years, services were held in either Church.


These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1914 - 1925 Mr Hunt P
1925 - 1938 Rev Gavin Lawson P
1942 - 1947 Rev Chris Williams P
1948 - 1954 Rev Thomas Scott P
1954 - 1958 Rev William Turner P
1959 - 1968 Rev Marshall Campbell P
1969 - 1970 Rev Andrew Leith P
1971 - 1975 Rev Alistair McLean P
1975 - 1981 Rev Athol Wall P / U
1981 - 1987 Rev Murray Coombe U
1987 - 1988 Rev Anne Haberl U
1988 - 1992 Rev David Rankin U
1993 - 1999 Rev Graeme Wells U
1999 - Rev Owen Blake U
1999 - Rev J. Sampson U
2023 - Rev Brian Morgan U Locum


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.


1. Elmore Progress Association Back to Elmore 2001.
2. Elmore Museum.