Epping, VIC - St Peter's Catholic
Year Built: 1865
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: 13 Davisson Street, Epping, Victoria, 3076
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 07/03/2023
History and Architecture:
Mass had first been celebrated in the district, then known as Darebin Creek, as early as 1849. It had been held in the home of Alexander McKillop, whose daughter, Mother Mary McKillop, founded the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart. In about 1852 a Catholic Denominational School, No. 238, was established. A new wooden building was erected in 1853 for 250, being replaced still later by a bluestone schoolhouse.
The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Goold on 5 November 1865, following the celebration of Mass in a marquee. Opened on 13 January 1867, it is now believed to be the second oldest Victorian Catholic Church outside the inner Melbourne suburbs, after Keilor.
In the 1860s the Epping Catholic community decided to erect a permanent church. Tenders for the construction of the bluestone church walls were called by Thomas Mahoney on 5 January 1865 and for the roof on 4 April 1866. The final cost of the building was 2,196.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|- 1853||Father Patrick Dunne||Locum|
|1853 - 1882||Father C. O'Hea||Locum|
|1882 - 1883||Father Dunne||Locum|
|1883 - 1910||Father M. Hayes||Locum|
|1957 -||Father L. R. Griffin|
|1910 - 1912||Father Joseph McCarter|
|1912 - 1915||Father John J. Egan|
|1915 - 1917||Father William O'Farrell|
|1917 - 1917||Father David N. Goldspink|
|1917 - 1920||Father William Berntsen|
|1920 - 1925||Father Timmothy O'Callaghan|
|1925 - 1929||Father James Thomas Norris|
|1930 - 1933||Father John Bryne|
|1933 - 1936||Father Thoams V. Carroll|
|1936 - 1939||Father Francis McGuire|
|1939 - 1939||Father Patrick O'Connor|
|1939 - 1941||Father Michael O'Sullivan|
|1942 - 1955||Father John Bailey|
|1955 - 1959||Father James Griffin|
|1959 - 1970||Father Frederick M. Chamberlin|
|1970 - 1980||Father Laurence B. O'Neill|
|1980 - 1982||Father Michael McLindon|
|1982 - 1994||Father Brendan Dillon|
|1994 - 1995||Father Kevin Burke||Administrator|
|1996 - 2006||Father Tony Callinan|
|1998 - 2000||Father Rod Pitts||Asst|
|2004 - 2006||Father Arnold Heredia||Administrator|
|2006 - 2006||Father Anthony Doran||Administrator|
|2006 - 2007||Father Johny Kariathil Joseph||Administrator|
|2006 - 2006||Father Maurie Cooney|
|2007 - 2008||Father Hien Vu|
|2009 - 2012||Father Dispin John||Asst|
|2013 - 2014||Father Joseph Olickal||Asst|
|2015 -||Father Martin Jeramias||Asst|
|2020 -||Father Anh Nguyen|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Church website.
2. Celebrating 150 Years St Peter's Church 1965 - 2015 Parish of Epping Epping North LTP 282.9451C3302S