Glen Alvie, VIC - Catholic

Year Built: 1905

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Address: Willmott Road, Glen Alvie, Victoria, 3979

Architect: Unknown

Traditional Owners: Bunurong people

Last Updated: 17/04/2024

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The Church was situated on the highest part of what is now called Willmott's road. The location in the early days was known as Dowel's corner.

It was built on an acre or so of ground given by Mr. J. Mates. This building was officially opened on Sunday, August 27, 1905. The architect and and building contractor was Mr. W. O'Neill of Loch. The main building occupied a space of 19 feet x 22 feet and was capable of seating between 80 and 100 people. The sanctuary was 11ft. x 9ft. and on it was erected a very nice altar. At the side was the sacristy which measured 8ft. x 8ft. Mass was celebrated by Rev. Father Parker the parish priest. The official opening was performed by Rev. Dr. Kelly, Archbishop of the Diocese of Melbourne.

The total cost of the church, including furnishings, fencing, insurance, etc. was £216 pounds 6 shillings and 4 pence and of that amount nearly 100 pounds had been paid off. This church continued to serve the local parishioners for over 60 years although services in later years were not celebrated on a regular Sunday basis. In 1968 it was closed and removed to Bass were it was used to enlarge the Catholic church in that town.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1905 - Father Parker


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.



1. Churches in Glen Alvie by Ken Perrett