Glen Waverley, VIC - St Leonard's Catholic
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: 349 Springvale Road, Glen Waverley, Victoria, 3150
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 13/01/2023
History and Architecture:
From its start in 1912 as a simple weatherboard church next to the Mechanics Institute, it has progressed from its original Springvale Road site south of Waverley Road to its present home, has occupied no fewer than three church buildings.
At the opening of the little church in 1912, Archbishop Carr praised the Catholics of Glen Waverley for "their fixed determination to hand down the Faith pure and unalloyed to their children", adding that such progress could only be effectively accomplished by spreading Catholic education.
Work commence in 1984 on the current Church building and was completed in the same year.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1955 - 1970||Father Leo Ryan|
|1962 -||Father Tony Hally||Asst||1937||2011|
|1963 -||Father Dennis Lynam|
|1964 -||Father John McCrory|
|1968 -||Father Anthony Doolan||Asst|
|1970 - 1971||Father Jim Atkins|
|1971 -||Father Bernie Mackin|
|1971 - 1992||Father Tom Foynes|
|1973 -||Deacon Peter Ray||Asst|
|1974 -||Father Vincent Burke||Asst|
|1977 -||Father Frank Chamberlin|
|1977 -||Father Peter Priestley|
|1983 -||Father Joseph O'Shea||Asst|
|1992 - 1994||Father Greg Handley|
|1994 -||Father Michael Moody||Asst|
|2017 -||Father John Dowling|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. 2 sites, three Churches, 5 Priests. A celebration of 50 Years of Catholic worship in Glen Waverley. SLTF 282.9451 H18T