Glenelg, SA - St Peter's Anglican (30375)
Year Built: 1961
Last Updated: 11/10/2021
History and Architecture:
The first church was built in 1852, designed by Edmund Wright and built by Henry Moseley.2 In 1881 it was announced that the old church was to be demolished. The replacement, again to the design of Wright, was to be built in sections commencing with nave and chancel.
The western porch (1924) is the last structural addition. Squared stone walls, openings are pointed Gothic and stained glass. Buttresses and stone quoins are stucco finished.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1865 - 1881||Rev Thomas Field||1829||1899|
|1885 - 1886||Rev Philip Richard Dodd||Asst Curate||1855||1906|
|1886 - 1888||Rev Spencer Frank Borrow||Curate||1860||1921|
|1891 - 1893||Rev George John Bowyear||Curate||1851||1923|
|1916 - 1947||Rev Herbert Ramsden Cavalier||1877||1965|
|1933 -||Rev Edward Pattison Clarke||Curate||1896||1981|
|1933 -||Deacon Kenneth Julian Bickersteth||1885||1962|
|1938 - 1940||Rev John Raymond Bleby||Curate||1913||2001|
|1961 - 1965||Rev John Henry Stephenson||Asst C|
|1982 - 1984||Rev Peter Reynold Stanley||Asst C|
|1984 - 1985||Rev Michael Austin Sainsbury|
|1987 - 1988||Rev Andrew Sinclair Wurn||Asst C||1962|
|1991 - 1995||Rev Bruce Alan Frost||Assc P||1931|
|1988 - 1995||Rev John Stephenson|
|2017 -||The Venerably Andrew Mintern|
The Organ was built by Fincham & Hobday in 1888, and enlarged by J.E. Dodd in 1899 and 1902. It was restored by George Stephens in 1983, 1987 and 2000. For a more comprehensive overview of the Organ go to http://www.ohta.org.au/organs/organs/GlenelgStPetersAng.html
1. Cable Clergy Index
2. Anglican Clergy in South Australia in the Nineteenth Century T.T. Reed.